Sunday, November 11, 2012

 

 


Aquamarine Datura Metel


The Datura and Brugmansia Crazies
During the winter of 2011 and 2012, I became a fanatic of the Datura and Brugmansia flowers.  I started several of them from seed, and waited impatiently for them to come up in the greenhouse.  The first plant was a Datura, called a Black Currant Swirl.  Although extremely beautiful, the bloom was a single layer lavender color.  I was expecting a triple layer bloom and had waited several months. So, I ordered the Versicolor Peach and Equador Pink Brugs, and Purple Petticoats triple layer as cuttings.  Once I got these plants, I was on my way to a beautiful experience.  Once I learned enough about the plants, I then grew from seed. I have also figured out the hard way that they are heat intolerant, which makes blooming difficult in the heat of the summer.  They are primarily a spring and fall plant and love night temps in the 50's.  Many people know these plants as Devil's (flowers point up) and Angels Trumpets (flower bells hang down), repectively.
Ecuador Pink Brugmansia
Ecuador Pink Brugmansia growing in the raised bed next to the greenhouse.

 
 
Versicolor Peach Brugmansia


The following pictures are the varieties of Datura species I grew this past summer.

Aquamarine Datura Metel (Angel's Trumpet)






 
 
Black Currant Swirl Datura Metel

 


 

Purple Petticoats triple layer Datura Metel
 
 
 
Triple Layer Yellow Datura Metel

No comments:

Post a Comment