Wednesday, May 22, 2013


The butterfly garden is truly starting to put on a show.  The zinnias and pink phlox are at their height and truly take my breath away every time I go out to the garden.  Pictures can hardly capture the awesome beauty.
Zinnias and pink wild Phlox in the background

Zinnia flower bed
 
Bee on Tithonia
I would love to have a hive of honey bees, but I need to do a lot more research on the subject.  We have pets, and I want to make sure all family members are okay with the possibilities.
 
Silky Gold Butterfly Milkweed is starting to produce seed.  I am letting the seed fly away to find its own home to grow.

Pink Zinnia 


Bird's nest in my geraniums growing in the greenhouse.  I am not watering this plant anymore since there are three eggs and a momma bird in there.  She flies out at me every day and starts squawking.  Hoping the babies survive the cats.  I have a fence around the whole thing for protection.
 
Tomatoes are ripening

We have six tomato plants with ripening tomatoes, two hills of squash, several cucumber and  eggplants, and multiple green pepper plants.  I am not focusing that much attention on the vegetables since I am an organic garden and only use Joy soap as an insect deterrent.  Vegetables are not counted before they mature but we are grateful to be eating some fresh tomatoes.  Tomatoes are grown in huge containers with soil we bought at the local landscaping shop.  The green peppers are producing but are bitter, which means I need to spread more rich compost around them.  I never give up on growing vegetables, but keep trying new techniques.  More pictures of vegetables will be posted soon. 

 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment